Sunday, February 21, 2010

2004 Mustang GT 9"x12" Graphite Pencil


So it's been a while, but I had to wait to post this one (it was a gift, and I didn't want to ruin the surprise). This was a bit of a challenge for me, as it's the second car I've ever done (the first being the old red Ford) but I really enjoyed it. Getting the perspective right was a bit rough, and I had a very hard time getting the front of the car to accurately match the back. I played around with it quite a bit, but I think it looks much better than the first time I thought it was done. Doing the shading on a black car, with the paint job reflecting light the way a car's exterior does, was something new for me. Originally I was thinking of doing something in the background, but ultimately chose to leave it blank, as I thought it would detract from the car itself. The shading is so busy as it is, creating a backdrop would have swallowed the car, and I didn't want that.
I really enjoyed this project, and the next is going to be something much bigger and more colorful. I'll keep you posted--now that school's underway things should be coming along a little faster, I hope:)

2 comments: