Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Monkey 11"x14"


I absolutely love how this piece turned out--I had been planning on doing this one for a while but put it off until I was down on Long Island and had a Saturday to myself. I finished it relatively quickly as I worked on it while working at the Farmer's Markets. I'm thrilled with how the shadowing came out, because that's what really drew me to the picture (taken by my brother Shaun) and I was  adamant that I capture that lighting because it made the picture so dynamic. I chose to do this piece in graphite pencil because I knew it would capture the depth and drama of the shadows, as well as give that sense of texture that you get from Monkey's fur. I'll have this piece made into prints as well as cards that will be available at the Farmer's Markets and select stores around the Southern NH area.  

3 comments:

  1. Nice piece Kait! I would love a print of this one if you could manage that... Also, you might want to mention that the cat's name is Monkey, or just say 'the cat' in your write-up or else people might think you were trying to draw a monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete